xml-general mailing list archives

From Henning von Bargen <H.vonBar...@Triestram-Partner.de>
Subject AW: AW: AW: Reverse XSL:FO
Date Wed, 26 Apr 2000 07:07:03 GMT

> -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
> Von:	Stefano Mazzocchi [SMTP:stefano@apache.org]
> Gesendet am:	Dienstag, 25. April 2000 23:56
> An:	general@xml.apache.org
> Betreff:	Re: AW: AW: Reverse XSL:FO
>
> Henning von Bargen wrote:
> >
> > > -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
> > > Von:  Stefano Mazzocchi [SMTP:stefano@apache.org]
> > > Gesendet am:  Donnerstag, 20. April 2000 23:05
> > > An:   general@xml.apache.org
> > > Betreff:      Re: AW: Reverse XSL:FO

> > promises
> > want.
> > >
> > > Like, for example, do neural OCR on the SVG vectors to get FO text
using
> > > XSLT stylesheets? good luck :)
> >
> > Why would this be necessary? SVG stores text elements as text, see some
> > examples
> > at http://www.adobe.com/web/features/svg/samples.html
> > for example this one (etchedGlass.svg), which displays the letters SVG
with
> > a lot of
> > effects added (notice the <text> element at the bottom of the source):
>
> Wrong. SVG "could" store text elements as text. Just like PDF could but
> this is not "required" to be done.

If anyone creates an SVG document containing something intended as text and
not
stored inside a <text> element, I would call that braindead (btw: Braindead
is one of my fav. movies).

Maybe some authoring tools would do that, but IMO if they do, there "export
as SVG" functionality
is very stupid.

SVG is designed so that even visually impaired people can read the content
-- iff the main content is inside <text>.

Using vector graphics instead of <text> is abusion of the SVG format and
should be punished with 5 years penintentiary (translation with babelfish)
;-)