xml-general mailing list archives

From Brett McLaughlin <new.insta...@gte.net>
Subject Re: JDOM and Thank You :)
Date Thu, 27 Apr 2000 19:33:01 GMT

"HERRICK, CHUCK (SBCSI)" wrote:

> Gee, JDOM sounds just like Xerces and DOM.
>
> Did you guys build JDOM because you found something frustrating about Xerces
> and DOM?
>
> If so, what was it?
>
> Maybe it's just the cynic in me, but I'm always cautious
> of "let's create yet another standard / api so I can
> put it on my resume and acquire instant fame and fortune"?
>
> Note, I'm not saying that's the case here. Just curious.

Sure... fyi, we should probably move off these huge, general lists.
jdom.org is a great place to start, or even xerces-j-dev.

JDOM is so far from DOM it's scary ;-)  Check out the API docs -
http://jdom.org.  JDOM is much more lightweight, must less
memory-consumptive, much faster, and more in tune with what Java
developers want.  It has no ties to Xerces, other than that we by
default use Xerces.  There's nothing about Xerces that frustrates me; we
supply it as a default,  but we also use Oracle V1 and V2, Project X
(what used to be, at least), IBMXML4J, we don't care.

And I find DOM extremely frustrating - it's a total wash for pure Java
usage.  Yes, I know the arguments (I wrote a book on it, after all ;-)
), they had to be cross-language, etc., etc., and I'm fine with that.
But we aim to provide /Java/ developers a means to use XML _easily_.  I
do not in any way believe DOM provides this today, or that it will in
the future.  It is non-intuitive, too big, and doesn't behave like
Java.  Who ever heard of:

getElementsByTagName()
getElementsByTagNameNS()

People in Java?  no way - people in Javascript without overloading?
yup.  So we don't emulate DOM, other than that we provide a complete
view of an XML document.  We don't even mandate that the whole document
is in memory, unless you want it to be.  We just say, here's some data,
let's provide easy ways to get at it.  You should really look at the API
docs, they would answer lots of these questions for you ;-)

-Brett