xml-general mailing list archives

From "Pier P. Fumagalli" <p...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal to checkin jaxp.jar
Date Wed, 26 Apr 2000 01:32:52 GMT
Mike Pogue wrote:

> Ummmm, I vote -1.  The JAXP code was specifically taken *out* of the license-in
> agreement with Sun, because we couldn't get Sun to say that it was OK to
> redistribute it, without being bound by the JAXP spec license (which has some nasty
> parts).  So, rather than hold up everything, we agreed to pull JAXP out of the
> license-in agreement, and work on it separately (which Duncan is doing).
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but this proposal (below) does not actually resolve
> the JAXP spec license issues, and we don't end up with anything more than we have
> with Pier's existing implementation (which already implements JAXP).  I don't
> think we need TWO ambiguous JAXP implementations in the source code base (one
> ambiguous one is too many already! :-)
>
> Alternately, could you provide a pointer to the JAXP RI license (is it different
> from the current JAXP spec license?), so we can check to see whether it's
> different?  If it allows for unlimited redistribution (with no prohibition
> on subsetting/supersetting), then it's a different license, (one that's more
> compatible with open source) and we should take a closer look at it!

Apart from those reasons, wich I understand and agree on, I'd say -1
because to use Sun's RI and Xerces one has ALWAYS to specify
  -Djavax.xml.parsers......=org.apache.xerces.jaxp...
on the command line... because the default is different, and since we
cannot modify those classes...
i'd just say for whoever wants to use JAXP, get it off the CVS, or i
could just set up a small distrib on my betaversion.org, or even easier,
download it from Sun...

	Pier

PS Duncan, when we'll be able to see a "decent" license on the spec/ri?