xml-general mailing list archives

From Arkin <ar...@exoffice.com>
Subject Re: Proposal to checkin jaxp.jar
Date Tue, 25 Apr 2000 23:07:31 GMT
Rajiv Mordani wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Arkin wrote:
>
> > Rajiv Mordani wrote:
> > >
> > > See my response to Mike's mail and also refer to the JAXP RI license. It
> > > isn't the same as the spec license. If you have any further questions
> > > please let me know.
> >
> > The RI license might not be the same as the spec, but it does requires
> > compliance with the JAXP specification.
> >
> > While Apache can "acquire" a JAXP distribution license from Sun and ship
> > the JAXP RI, that does not cover other projects/products that must, in
> > my understanding of the license, re-acquire the distribution license
> > from Sun in order to ship a version of Apache software that contains the
> > JAXP RI. That violates the nature of frictionless open source software
> > distribution.
>
> The RI license mentions that it is redistributable with your product. So I
> don't see the point you are making here?? As for being conformant with
> JAXP, isn't a goal to be conformant to standards available???  Also what I
> am proposing isn't to distribute the JAXP RI. It is just the javax classes
> with xerces implementation of the parser. So it is a product that conforms
> to SAX 2.0 beta, DOM Level 2 CR and JAXP 1.0.
>
> I think I am missing something here. Could you explain to me a little more
> what is the problem you see in distribution with Open source software??

The RI license must be acquired from Sun, it cannot be passed from
Apache to it's users (non-transferable, limited).

That means once I obtain a JAR including JAXP from Apache I cannot
distribute it without going to Sun's Web site and clicking Yes on the
license agreement. There are certain restrictions there that must be
agreed upon by whoever distributes the JAXP or anything containing the
JAXP which are not the same as the ASF restrictions applicable to all
software coming from Apache.

As for conformance, since I don't know that Xerces is conformant with
JAXP, and since my version of Xerces can be mutulated in any way I see
fit and non-conformant even if a particular downloadable version is, it
cannot be distributed with JAXP without including parser.jar. That puts
a limitation on the ability to modify the open source code (at the
expense of breaking compatibility).

We can discuss this legal issues to death, but generally people
downloading software from Apache should not be concerned with these
issues, they should get software under an ASF or compatible license.

arkin

Assaf Arkin                                           www.exoffice.com
CTO, Exoffice Technologies, Inc.                        www.exolab.org