xml-general mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AW: Reverse XSL:FO
Date Tue, 25 Apr 2000 21:46:11 GMT
Andrzej Dmoch wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> > Henning von Bargen wrote:
> > >
> > > There's a tool called ps2edit (an extension to ghostscript) that promises
> > > to convert files from PS or PDF to SVG, but I didn't test it.
> > > SVG is a XML format in itself and you can use XSL to do whatever you want.
> >
> > Like, for example, do neural OCR on the SVG vectors to get FO text using
> > XSLT stylesheets? good luck :)
>
> I know but if the aim is to add some text to PDF files and print it then SVG
> doesn't look bad.

I don't follow you.

> BTW, isn't PDF isomorfic with XSL:FO?

It greatly depends on what "isomorphic" means to you. If it means that
everything that FO can do can be done in PDF, yes, but the other way
around is false.

PDF is a declarative programming language that can be seens as a
PostScript subset in some ways, but adds some different functionalities
like scripting, multi-media integration, etc.. XSL:FO doesn't deal with
any of those (for good reasons!).

> If it is then why isn't there any tool to convert it?

PDF != FO

Also, like in any programming language, there are tons of ways to do the
same thing... in PDF, this means that there are many ways of writing the
same page on the screen with different PDF documents. Some might use
text, others may use vectors.

Now, even if you PDF is generated from a FO (so it doesn't include any
other PDF capabilities), it's not algorithmically certain (read: you
need a brain to do that!) to convert it back into FO.

Just like when you do "1 + 1" you get "2" but there are an infinite set
of couples which sum is "2", not just one.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.