xml-general mailing list archives

From Arkin <ar...@exoffice.com>
Subject Re: Proposal to checkin jaxp.jar
Date Tue, 25 Apr 2000 21:33:43 GMT
Rajiv Mordani wrote:

> See my response to Mike's mail and also refer to the JAXP RI license. It
> isn't the same as the spec license. If you have any further questions
> please let me know.

The RI license might not be the same as the spec, but it does requires
compliance with the JAXP specification.

While Apache can "acquire" a JAXP distribution license from Sun and ship
the JAXP RI, that does not cover other projects/products that must, in
my understanding of the license, re-acquire the distribution license
from Sun in order to ship a version of Apache software that contains the
JAXP RI. That violates the nature of frictionless open source software
distribution.

In my opinion considering the nature of the license, users interested in
JAXP should download it from Sun under the license set forth by Sun on
the Web site.

arkin