xml-general mailing list archives

From Mike Pogue <mpo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal to checkin jaxp.jar
Date Tue, 25 Apr 2000 15:39:23 GMT
Ummmm, I vote -1.  The JAXP code was specifically taken *out* of the license-in
agreement with Sun, because we couldn't get Sun to say that it was OK to
redistribute it, without being bound by the JAXP spec license (which has some nasty
parts).  So, rather than hold up everything, we agreed to pull JAXP out of the
license-in agreement, and work on it separately (which Duncan is doing).

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but this proposal (below) does not actually resolve
the JAXP spec license issues, and we don't end up with anything more than we have
with Pier's existing implementation (which already implements JAXP).  I don't
think we need TWO ambiguous JAXP implementations in the source code base (one
ambiguous one is too many already! :-)

Alternately, could you provide a pointer to the JAXP RI license (is it different
from the current JAXP spec license?), so we can check to see whether it's
different?  If it allows for unlimited redistribution (with no prohibition
on subsetting/supersetting), then it's a different license, (one that's more
compatible with open source) and we should take a closer look at it!

Mike