xml-general mailing list archives

From Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malo...@knipp.de>
Subject Re: RDF and DTD
Date Fri, 14 Apr 2000 07:52:31 GMT
Cheun N Chong wrote:

> HI there
>
>         I am sorry to bother. Is there any example that I can refer to
> about using DTD on an RDF document?
>
>         Thousand thanks.
>
> Best regards,
> Cheun Ngen CHONG

Interesting question. I also wondered whether a DTD/Schema is possible for RDF.
I am neither an RDF expert, nor a DTD/Schema expert, but I think that you will
not be able to create a DTD for RDF because of the extensive use of namespaces
in RDF. Eventually, you can create a DTD for the RDF namespace part.
Unfortunately, the contents of some elements depend on the value of an
attribute (parseType), which cannot be modelled by a DTD.

Maybe everything can be solved by the use of schemata, but I haven't taken a
look on these standards.

regards

Klaus Malorny