xml-general mailing list archives

From "HERRICK, CHUCK (SBCSI)" <CH6...@momail.sbc.com>
Subject RE: Jobtitle
Date Mon, 24 Apr 2000 15:51:15 GMT
Maybe it's not that there are folks out there who are ignoring history, but
that there exist (as has existed since we stood upright and stopped burning
our hands by shoving them into fire) a large number of people who think that
everything about the times in which they live is unique to them.

I'm thinking here of the 20-something dot.com'mers with 3 years of college
and an IPO dream who think they're the first beings on the planet to
discover the existence of fundamental principles.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Palanza [mailto:dan@capecod.net]
Sent: Friday, April 21, 2000 9:57 AM
To: general@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: Jobtitle

Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:

>And that's exactly why it's the wrong word. I don't want to coopt an
>existing word. I want to coin (or really borrow from another
>language) a new one. We do have new jobs that didn't exist 60 years
>ago. We need new words to describe them.

Interesting analysis. I wonder how much time you have put into studying the
nature of work 60 years ago. Having been alive then, I can tell you from my
personal observations that the nature of the work has changed very little.
What has changed considerably is the speed with which the work can now be
communicated. It may surprise you to know that systems and language design
has been extremely important work issues throughout the history of human
culture.

Your approach in this context reminds me of the old expression that those
who ignore history are destined to re-live it.

Dan