xml-general mailing list archives

From Dan Palanza <...@capecod.net>
Subject Re: Jobtitle
Date Fri, 21 Apr 2000 14:57:29 GMT
Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:

>And that's exactly why it's the wrong word. I don't want to coopt an
>existing word. I want to coin (or really borrow from another
>language) a new one. We do have new jobs that didn't exist 60 years
>ago. We need new words to describe them.

Interesting analysis. I wonder how much time you have put into studying the
nature of work 60 years ago. Having been alive then, I can tell you from my
personal observations that the nature of the work has changed very little.
What has changed considerably is the speed with which the work can now be
communicated. It may surprise you to know that systems and language design
has been extremely important work issues throughout the history of human
culture.

Your approach in this context reminds me of the old expression that those
who ignore history are destined to re-live it.

Dan