xml-general mailing list archives

From "Thomas B. Passin" <tpas...@mitretek.org>
Subject Re: What parsers for?
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2000 17:44:29 GMT

Cheun N Chong asked -

>Hi
>
> I am really really fresh to XML and XSL. I am not sure what
>parsers for, such as XML4J and LotusXSL. Thanks for your help.

XML Parsers (like xml4j) are for any or all of these things:
1) Check an xml document for errors in its structure.
2) Identify the various xml parts, like elements and attributes.
3) Send the various parts to your code so you can do something with it.
4) (perhaps) change an xml document from one character encoding to
another.

XSLT parsers (like LotusXSL  or XT) are for:
Transforming an xml document into a different form, usually also xml.
This might be reorganizing the parts, omitting portions, adding standard
phrases, or adding HTML tags.

Tom Passin