xml-general mailing list archives

From "Thomas B. Passin" <tpas...@mitretek.org>
Subject Re: AW: Reverse XSL:FO
Date Wed, 26 Apr 2000 15:28:48 GMT
Andrzej Dmoch  asked -

<snip/>
>Then why doesn't there exist an XML format isomorfic with PDF files?
>The task of transforming XSL:FO to PDF would have been achieved then
using XSLT.

SInce PDF is a programming language used for page description, combined
with tables describing page structure, you would need to develop an xml
language that could code progam instructions.  I don't know about you,
but I don't want to code in xml!

On the other hand, there is a tool that can convert (some) postscript
files to svg (I'm not sure about PDF files but I think they can be
handled too), and I would guess that the text in the svg is really in
text form, not vectors. So it might be conceivable to go from
postscript/pdf -> svg -> ??? via xslt for some range of input documents.
I think I'll leave this one to you.  I'm definitely not up for it.

Tom Passin