xml-general mailing list archives

From James Tauber <JTau...@bowstreet.com>
Subject RE: O'Reilly Conference & XML
Date Thu, 02 Mar 2000 06:41:45 GMT
Hi Chuck,

Not quite what you were asking for, but I have two topics that I think would
be of real interest to attendees.

TOPIC ONE:

I'm the original contributor of one of the four components of the Apache XML
projects, namely the XSL formatting engine, FOP. I would like to share at
the conference my experiences as an open source developer. The story of FOP
is interesting for a number of reasons:

1. It is implementing a specification that is still in progress (and began
implementing it from the very first barebones draft). The history of FOP
raises a number of issues about the relationship between developing code and
writing specs.
2. The early prototypes were in Perl and then Python before FOP switched to
being written in Java.
3. In early 1999, Sun and Adobe announced a competition to write an open
source Java-based XSL formatter. At the time: (a) I had not yet released FOP
as open source (it wasn't ready); (b) FOP was the only show in town.
What was interesting was that the competition had the effect of *delaying*
my going open source for fear of it being an aid to other contestants. This
whole chapter of FOP's history raises all sort of issues about how to
encourage open source. (BTW, the competition was cancelled for an
interesting reason: it was too expensive to register the competition in a
large number of countries).
4. I had to go through the whole transition of FOP being a solo effort
(albeit still open source) versus the whole Apache approach. This transition
raises all sorts of issues about the advantages and disadvantages of
Apache-style projects.

TOPIC TWO:

EXTREME PROGRAMMING AND DISTRIBUTED OPEN SOURCE

Extreme Programming is a development style developed by Kent Beck, Ward
Cunningham and others that takes best practices for development teams to
extremes. It encourages continuous (rather than up-front) design, unit
testing, early and frequent release, shared ownership of code and pair
programming. It was developed for traditional software teams, though, and
hasn't been applied to distributed open source. However, extreme programming
and open source share many of the same values, and many of the features of
extreme programming are particularly useful in addressing the challenges of
distributed open source projects. I would like to present and overview of
extreme programming and why it could be so useful for distributed open
source projects.

What do you think?

James