xml-general mailing list archives

From Dan Morrison <d...@es.co.nz>
Subject Re: How to use XML to link to XML when the XML becomes HTML?
Date Fri, 31 Mar 2000 13:35:31 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Dan Morrison wrote:
> > I just want my link relationships to be stated in a generic enough way
> > to survive a global change of suffix.

> This is a big issue and I still don't have a clear-cut vision on the
> problem.

Looks like I opened up a can of worms & it wasn't just misunderstanding
on my part.

> And links are _NOT_ something that you should mess around with with
> something like XSLT processors.

That was my gut instinct.

IMO, the suffix of a file in a URI is a first-class citizen, deserving
attention equal to the protocol. However all URI breakdowns I've seen
reagard suffix to be just part of the filename.
I know this came from Unix vs Windows history, but it's a part of life
nowadays.

> Comments?

Ya.
If A refers to B in its XML incarnation, surely we can say that A.html
still knows where to find B.html

This seems to be missing for me in the specs/implimentations I've seen.

.dan.

[2:47 AM, I've just got back from the clubs early (some bastard stole my
cellphone) so plz ignore this post]