xml-general mailing list archives

From Arnaud Le Hors <leh...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Is XML simple? (was Re: Yet Another Xerces/Xalan question)
Date Thu, 02 Mar 2000 20:16:00 GMT
Eric Hodges wrote:

> Is there any historical document of the restraints that were considered in
> the design of the DOM API?  Just out of curiosity, I want to know what they
> were thinking when they did some of it. :)

The only public document in this regard would be the requirements
document [1]. But it doesn't get into any of the gory details that
you're looking for. ;-)

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Requirements/

As far as I know, only the W3C member-only minutes of the face to face
meetings and the mailing list archives contain those. And I guess the
brains of the DOM Working Group members...
One thing I can tell you is that constraints mostly came from people
already having proprietary DOMs and looking for something they could
implement on top of their _existing_ structures.

> It occurs to me that the DOM API
> might be several APIs merged together.

Well, it clearly is. Why do you think there are two basic ways of
navigating the tree: getFirstChild+getNextSibling vs getChildNodes?
Each of them clearly favors one particular implementation. So, given
that nobody wants to give up on his/her preferred navigation model, the
only chance to get to an aggreement is to put both in. Believe me, this
isn't done lightly though. Everybody agrees that a single way of doing
things is best in the first place. But once you've spent many months
arguing on which way to go and everybody's convinced nobody will ever
win the battle, you naturally come to the conclusion that the only
solution, if not best, is to have both.