xml-general mailing list archives

From Arnaud Le Hors <leh...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Is XML simple? (was Re: Yet Another Xerces/Xalan question)
Date Thu, 02 Mar 2000 18:25:34 GMT
Looking at the DOM in particular, it's actually easy to apprehend the
difficulty of designing such a standard. We all can design a tree like
structure, there is really nothing very fancy in this, and most students
in computer science, if not all, have done it at least once. Now,
imagine we all get together in a room and decide we must design ONE such
thing...

I've been involved in the DOM since the beginning and I can tell you
it's been a very frustrating experience in many cases, however, no
matter how ugly you may think it is (and I would agree with you on some
of it!), I claim that nobody could have done better
_with_the_same_constraints_.