xml-general mailing list archives

From Tim Bray <tb...@textuality.com>
Subject Re: How to use XML to link to XML when the XML becomes HTML?
Date Thu, 30 Mar 2000 15:53:53 GMT
At 07:42 PM 3/30/00 +1200, Dan Morrison wrote:
>Sorry if this is off-topic, but I can't find an XLINK forum, can anyone
>suggest where to look?

Don't think there is one, but maybe soon.

>So far I've been labouring under the impression that Xlink is some sort
>of enhanced replacement for <a href=""> tags. After reading the spec &
>lots of surrounding vapourware articles, I'm more confused than ever.

I have at various times since 1997 served as a co-editor of the spec
and chair of the WG (am doing neither now) and I think your impression
is correct.

What you're doing is transforming links as part of the publishing or
delivery process.  A common-enough thing to want to do.  If XSLT has
trouble in doing what you want, then that is probably a shortcoming
of XSLT.  XLink is just syntax for describing links, not a framework
for transforming them. -Tim