xml-general mailing list archives

From Eric Hodges <harmo...@swbell.net>
Subject Re: Yet Another Xerces/Xalan question
Date Fri, 03 Mar 2000 19:59:28 GMT
Looking through http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-DOM-Level-1/level-one-core.html, I
don't see importNode() mentioned once.

Likewise, here's the javadoc text from DocumentImpl in Xerces 1.0.1:

    /**
     * NON-DOM: Copies data from the source node. Unlike cloneNode, this
     * _can_ copy data from another document. If the source document is also
     * based on org.apache.xerces.dom, we will attempt to preserve the
domimpl-
     * internal data by doing a clone-and-reparent. If not, we will use
     * the source's public methods, and this document's Factory methods,
     * to copy data defined by the DOM interfaces.
     *
     * Its behavior is otherwise similar to that of cloneNode.
     *
     * Attempting to import a Document into another Document is
meaningless --
     * a new Document would not improve matters much, and a DocumentFragment
     * couldn't carry the DocumentType child (if any). Best thing we can do
     * is throw a HIERARCHY_REQUEST_ERR.
     *
     * ????? Should we push some of this down to copy-ctors, so
     * subclassed DOMs have the option of special-casing each other
     * (as we do for ourself)?
     */
    public Node importNode(Node source, boolean deep)
        throws DOMException {

If there is a new DOM spec that includes importNode and a new Xerces that
implements it, please let me know.