xml-general mailing list archives

From Eric Hodges <harmo...@swbell.net>
Subject Re: bugs? [was: Re: success stories with xml.apache.org]
Date Thu, 02 Mar 2000 01:19:32 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Pogue" <mpogue@apache.org>
To: <general@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 01, 2000 11:17 AM
Subject: bugs? [was: Re: success stories with xml.apache.org]

> Honestly, to my knowledge, nobody has reported any of these bugs before,
at least
> on Xerces.  Some of these bugs are clearly on Xalan, too.
>
> See below for additional questions!
>
> Mike
>
> "HERRICK, CHUCK (SBCSI)" wrote:
> >
> > regarding:
> > --
> > Resetting the parser causes the document it last generated to become
> > corrupt.
> > --
> > I would imagine this would be fairly mission critical.
> > Is there somewhere where we can find out if this bug
> > is being addressed and by whom? That way trying to
> > work toward a fix wouldn't collide with a parallel
> > effort.
> >

> http://xml.apache.org/bugs is the new bug tracking system.  We're just
getting
> started to enter bugs in there.  But, this one isn't there (assuming it's
> Xerces bug).  And, to my knowledge, nobody has ever reported anything like
this.

It's a problem with resetting the parser.  It seems to wipe out the DTM
string tables or something.  Once a document has been produced by the
parser, calling reset() screws up the document.  It was discussed on
comp.text.xml, I believe.  I was not aware of any formal mechanism for
reporting bugs.

OpenXQL
> > disappeared.  Also we want to support the XPath standard.
> >
> > Our experience with Xalan and Xerces:
> > Negative:
> >     Some of the source code won't build on JDK 1.2.2.
>
> Xerces is compiled routinely with 1.2.2.  Can you provide more details
> (to the Xerces board)?

These problems were in Xalan.  Specifically, static members were referenced
from instance variables, not from the class.

> >     Some simple XPaths caused exceptions to be thrown.
> >     Resetting the parser causes the document it last generated to become
> > corrupt.
>
> Do you have a test case that demonstrates this?

I haven't written a test case, but I can reproduce the behavior.  Removing
the call to reset() and creating a new parser for each parse solves the
problem.

> >     Still having a hard time figuring out which method to call, in what
> > order, and what arguments they expect.
> >     Very little documentation on the API.
>
> Are these Xerces or Xalan comments?

Both.  The Javadoc comments fail to explain the purpose of most of the
arguments, or they are expressed in terms unfamiliar to me.  And the calling
sequence is extremely comlicated and non intuitive for simple operations
like parsing and executing XPaths.