xml-general mailing list archives

From br...@apache.org
Subject Re: Committ access / /etc/groups needs updating ? brian ?
Date Mon, 28 Feb 2000 17:54:53 GMT
On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2000 brian@apache.org wrote:
>
> > > Brian, could it be that since the shuffling of machine, the history
> > > file is now owned by group apcvs instead of the (old) xml ?
> >
> > The global CVS history file needs a single group attached to it that all
> > CVS committers are in, that's the point of apcvs.
>
> What I meant was that in the past locus just had everyone in the xml list
> and those files where chgrp-ed to xml. So perhaps we might want to just
> zap the whole xml group.

(sorry to bore the general@ list with these details; followups in private
email please)

There is a need for both an "xml" group and a "apcvs" group on locus,
since there are multiple projects sharing the same machine and sharing the
same CVSROOT directory.  Every CVSROOT has a global "history" file that,
unless one uses the -R flag to cvs, gets written to whenever someone reads
from or writes to the repository.  That file needs to be chmod g+w to
group apcvs.  Then there are private CVS modules for each project, and we
use Unix permissions in addition to the regular "avail" functionality to
prevent people from one project from editing files belonging to another
project.  Additionally, all other files in the system (such as the web
files under /www/$project.apache.org/) are chgrp'd to that $project.

There is a method to my madness.  =)

	Brian