xml-general mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: [announce] XMLForm - a new project using Xerces, Xalan, & JTidy
Date Mon, 21 Feb 2000 21:49:54 GMT
On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Matt Sergeant wrote:

> I knew you java guys would start catching up eventually <grin/>...

Let the perl/java flamewar begin!

> Looks good, although I have a couple of points:
>
> 1. You don't seem to support attributes at all. This is pretty significant
> I would have thought (am I wrong?)

I don't know about this. Part of me thinks I'll add it in the next
revision, part of me thinks that I oughta add the ability to postprocess
the XML fragment with a stylesheet to allow for more complex XML fragment
generation. I'll probably do both.

> 2. I think it's _really_ important we agree on syntax, especially for
> example on extensions. Perhaps we could remain in touch throughout our
> developments?

I think that'd be great. That's why I cc:d you. :) Maybe we should discuss
this mano-y-mano though - I doubt the general XML apache group is
interested in this nitty gritty.

> I also have lots of stuff I'd like to add to CGI::XMLForm to make it more
> useful, I've just not had the tuits (usual excuse). I also wrote a full
> XPath parser since then, so I should be able to make CGI::XMLForm much more
> compliant.

Yeah, well, that's life, ennit? I'm neglecting at least three other
projects while I work on this.

> PS: I love the idea about inserting into a document at certain positions.

Thanks for both the original inspiration and the positive feedback. I look
forward to sharing ideas.

- donald