xml-general mailing list archives

From Paul.Wa...@wdr.com
Subject RE: USES
Date Thu, 17 Feb 2000 09:43:46 GMT
     Interesting thread,
     Just as an aside, has anyone started to put property files in an XML
     I was just wondering if there is an advantage moving from a property
     file or .ini file that was the format.
     to a guess below
     Would this allow you to have shared property stuff rather than
     multiple property files ??
     Is there any other advantages that anyone else can see ??
     Sorry just the ramberlings off a middle aged man. :-)
     Ok Paul

Subject: RE: USES
Author:  klal (klal@us.ibm.com) at unix,mime
Date:    16/02/00 23:50

Actually I think Octav's question is pretty interesting.
I'll give some examples of howI have used it  and then I'll give an example
that I know it is being used for.   I think that XML is not a silver bullet
and we should be discussing what we should and shouldn't be using it for.
I think we are only just a little past the flaming logo killer java app
with respect to where XML is on the technology curve.
XML is supposed to be this big e-commerce killer app.   Yet e-commerce is
getting along just perfectly fine without xml.  It's quite possible it will
continue to do so with out XML.  All my examples are done with either
Xerces or XML4J.
I have used it as a data format for extracting data from employee
directories and combining it with xsl to get it to the web.  But maybe perl
would have done a better job.
I have used it for web enabling a very large C++ application by serializing
a data stream and converting the stream to xml.  Then I used the DOM to
create business objects in servlets and again deliver to the web by
combining it with xsl to generate html.
I have used it to data mine text and mark-up that text in xml with
references to a directory of media before converting it to html.
I have seen xml used as middle ware with factories at both ends of the
network, and object tags at the beginning of the xml document.
I have been told that people should know better than to try and use xml as
I know this may seem off-topic but there is so much hype and media about
XML you can't trust it.  I think understanding what legitimate uses the
people on this mailing group are using Xerces, Xalan, and Cocoon for will
help us make sure we are developing Xerces in a way people want to use.
I'd say the vast majority of the mail on this group discusses compiling,
errors, and config problems.   We never get a chance to really understand
what's going on behind that in the real development world.
I'd like to hear it from the source and I think that would be valuable to
the Xerces community.
"HERRICK, CHUCK (SBCSI)" <CH6898@momail.sbc.com> on 02/16/2000 04:18:46 PM
Please respond to general@xml.apache.org
To:   general@xml.apache.org
Instead of answering the question, I'm going to
refer you to what I thought was an excellent
article on XML and its uses.
the article is in DB2 magazine, the winter quarter.
It's online, so if you can't find the paper
copy, surf to:
The article is by Harold Treat.
I found two aspects of the article compelling:
1. Pretty good coverage of the disparate
   uses of XML. I think this will speak to
   Octav's request.
2. Enticing coverage of just what IBM has
   done to DB2 UDB to provide support for
   XML. I'm speaking here of the DB2 XML Extenders
My take on XML uses is that there are no limitations,
other than your own imagination and a bit of
common sense.
Now, if I could just get this parser to install ... :)