xml-general mailing list archives

From k...@us.ibm.com
Subject RE: USES
Date Wed, 16 Feb 2000 23:50:33 GMT

Actually I think Octav's question is pretty interesting.

I'll give some examples of howI have used it  and then I'll give an example
that I know it is being used for.   I think that XML is not a silver bullet
and we should be discussing what we should and shouldn't be using it for.
I think we are only just a little past the flaming logo killer java app
with respect to where XML is on the technology curve.

XML is supposed to be this big e-commerce killer app.   Yet e-commerce is
getting along just perfectly fine without xml.  It's quite possible it will
continue to do so with out XML.  All my examples are done with either
Xerces or XML4J.

I have used it as a data format for extracting data from employee
directories and combining it with xsl to get it to the web.  But maybe perl
would have done a better job.

I have used it for web enabling a very large C++ application by serializing
a data stream and converting the stream to xml.  Then I used the DOM to
create business objects in servlets and again deliver to the web by
combining it with xsl to generate html.

I have used it to data mine text and mark-up that text in xml with
references to a directory of media before converting it to html.

I have seen xml used as middle ware with factories at both ends of the
network, and object tags at the beginning of the xml document.

I have been told that people should know better than to try and use xml as
middleware.

I know this may seem off-topic but there is so much hype and media about
XML you can't trust it.  I think understanding what legitimate uses the
people on this mailing group are using Xerces, Xalan, and Cocoon for will
help us make sure we are developing Xerces in a way people want to use.
I'd say the vast majority of the mail on this group discusses compiling,
errors, and config problems.   We never get a chance to really understand
what's going on behind that in the real development world.

I'd like to hear it from the source and I think that would be valuable to
the Xerces community.

Cheers,
Kieran

"HERRICK, CHUCK (SBCSI)" <CH6898@momail.sbc.com> on 02/16/2000 04:18:46 PM