xml-general mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Java/XML/SQL application development proposal
Date Wed, 23 Feb 2000 11:26:48 GMT
Josh McCormack wrote:

> Java/XML/SQL application development proposal
>
> The development of a publishing framework like Cocoon
> facilitates the creation of powerful websites using
> custom tags, databases, different style sheets and
> down right beautiful seperation of every aspect of
> the programming, logic and display of a site.
>
> A framework of this sort cuts down a lot of time/money
> that could be spent custom developing or buying the same
> thing. After getting the infrastructure (buying, downloading,
> developing, etc.) in place the next step is to make the
> applications that will drive the website. While there
> are some unique, or at least less common web based applications
> most sites use some combination of a common set. Getting these
> applications developed and to connect to a database, to
> work together, maintain state, etc. can be a repetitive process
> that sucks time/money unnecessarily. Just as Cocoon is the
> engineering platform which puts the theories and concepts
> into use, so a collection of powerful application modules
> could extend Cocoon to the highly functional level most
> people interested in an application server need one for.
>
> To move this closer to implementation from a high level view,
> what I'm proposing is making a collection of applications
> which have a database backend, public and private functions,
> which
> interact and share session information. They would be customized
>
> through the xml documents they're called from, the style sheets
> which help in their display and in the content of the database
> they connect to. Examples of applications include bulletin board,
> poll, bookmark manager, etc. I think once it gets going adding
> more should be pretty easy and we can add things like a powerful
> commerce/auction application, POP email reader, etc. And we don't
> necessarily have to reinvent the wheel. If it's already been
> done
> lets figure out how to work with it best.
>
> First step is to determine functionality, then to do a database
> design (mulitple if necessary to make it useable for different
>
> RDBMS). A log-in session thing will need to be done. SQL to
> get data and ways to insert it. Generic XML/XSL files.
>
> If working on this sounds appealing please email me. I"ll
> set something up on an open source development site that will
> help with version control and communication and such. I'm thinking
> about a BSD style liscence unless someone feels differently.
>
> Benefits to working on this project would be fame and notereity,
>
> learning, potential money from installing and customization.
> feeling of good will. Please forward this to anyone you think
> might be interested. God willing I'll be at Apachecon and we
>
> can further discuss if you like, and I'm in NYC if anyone will
> be around and want to talk in the flesh.
>
> I'm not fixated on Cocoon. XSDK from Oracle looks alright, too.
> Other
> suggestions welcome.

There are currently a few of these projects around here:

- Bugoon -> a bug tracking system based on Cocoon
- JetSpeed (http://java.apache.org/jetspeed/) which uses both cocoon and
turbine
- Jyve -> a faq-0-matic clone that uses turbine

Also, there's Brian's Tigris (http://www.tigris.org) which should be a
higher level sourceforge tool for open development groupware.

I'm sure more and more we'll go in the direction of creating web
applictations with the intrastructure we are developing.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.