xml-general mailing list archives

From "Josh McCormack" <joshmccorm...@webbox.com>
Subject Java/XML/SQL application development proposal
Date Tue, 22 Feb 2000 21:32:04 GMT

Java/XML/SQL application development proposal

The development of a publishing framework like Cocoon
facilitates the creation of powerful websites using
custom tags, databases, different style sheets and
down right beautiful seperation of every aspect of
the programming, logic and display of a site.

A framework of this sort cuts down a lot of time/money
that could be spent custom developing or buying the same
thing. After getting the infrastructure (buying, downloading,
developing, etc.) in place the next step is to make the
applications that will drive the website. While there
are some unique, or at least less common web based applications
most sites use some combination of a common set. Getting these
applications developed and to connect to a database, to
work together, maintain state, etc. can be a repetitive process
that sucks time/money unnecessarily. Just as Cocoon is the
engineering platform which puts the theories and concepts
into use, so a collection of powerful application modules
could extend Cocoon to the highly functional level most
people interested in an application server need one for.

To move this closer to implementation from a high level view,
what I'm proposing is making a collection of applications
which have a database backend, public and private functions,
which
interact and share session information. They would be customized

through the xml documents they're called from, the style sheets
which help in their display and in the content of the database
they connect to. Examples of applications include bulletin board,
poll, bookmark manager, etc. I think once it gets going adding
more should be pretty easy and we can add things like a powerful
commerce/auction application, POP email reader, etc. And we don't
necessarily have to reinvent the wheel. If it's already been
done
lets figure out how to work with it best.

First step is to determine functionality, then to do a database
design (mulitple if necessary to make it useable for different

RDBMS). A log-in session thing will need to be done. SQL to
get data and ways to insert it. Generic XML/XSL files.

If working on this sounds appealing please email me. I"ll
set something up on an open source development site that will
help with version control and communication and such. I'm thinking
about a BSD style liscence unless someone feels differently.

Benefits to working on this project would be fame and notereity,

learning, potential money from installing and customization.
feeling of good will. Please forward this to anyone you think
might be interested. God willing I'll be at Apachecon and we

can further discuss if you like, and I'm in NYC if anyone will
be around and want to talk in the flesh.

I'm not fixated on Cocoon. XSDK from Oracle looks alright, too.
Other
suggestions welcome.

Josh McCormack
joshmccormack@travelersdiary.com

Sent from a WebBox - http://www.webbox.com
FREE Web based Email, Files, Bookmarks, Calendar, People and
Great Ways to Share them with Others!