xml-general mailing list archives

From "Thomas Yip" <tyip_n...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Performance, XML messages compression
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2000 12:14:33 GMT
My compression knowledge limited to one course in univeristy.

But, what I understand is that compression base on LZW like WinZip,
gz etc and will do well on file lot of repetitions, which is just XML.

And, the compression which used in modem, base on LZ77 do exceptionally
well on text compression.

So, in both base, you can except good compression rate. So, I don't
really think a new compression is neccessary.

I think it is realistic to except compressed xml file will be 20% to 35%
of original size. Does it enough in your case?
For comparsion, average text file is about 50%.