xml-general mailing list archives

From Ken MacLeod <...@jess.bitsko.slc.ut.us>
Subject Re: $Log$, and general Q? on compilers
Date Mon, 10 Jan 2000 16:15:14 GMT
Shane_Curcuru@lotus.com writes:

> A couple of questions for any Java-based projects about suggested
> guidelines:

> -- (a per-project issue) What source-control tags should we use in
> sources?  Personally I'd vote for including just $Id$ in a set place
> (top of first comment?) in every file, and not using any other tags.
> However a number of other developers don't like using this when
> they're doing diffs for some reason.

Although I'm not a developer on this project at this time, I am a long
time user of revision control software -- I always prefer to use
$Id$-type tags.

The only reason I can think that $Id$ would cause problems is if it's
being forced to change when nothing else in the file changes.  This
can happen with some wrappers (not CVS, notably) or with release
scripts that update the revision number (not a recommended practice
anyway).  Do the developers have other reasons?

  -- Ken