xml-general mailing list archives

From Sander van Zoest <san...@mp3.com>
Subject Re: A better model for site generation
Date Tue, 25 Jan 2000 22:51:24 GMT
On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> People,
> as you all know, the xml.apache.org site plus all the documents included
> in all the hosted projects are built using XML/XSL technology, driven by
> Stylebook, a command line clone of Cocoon written by Pier when working
> for IBM.
> Stylebook and Cocoon share the exact same design patterns, even if not a
> single line of code. This is going to change since we believe in
> integration, like many others here.

Here at MP3.com, Inc. we use a similar, but less featurefull technique
of generating XML and style based template pages on-the-fly. This is all
written in C and are build-in apache modules that can be called via
mod_perl for dynamic page generation based on i18n,style and/or xml content.

Since our approach was to get performance over features and since XSL:T
and XSL:FO were still in the early stages, we came up with our own small
subset of the XSL feature set that does the job quite nicely.

I would like to work on an open source method of this using XSL with
strict performance in mind.

I will be speaking about this at ApacheCon 2000, so hopefully I will find
some time after the conference to work on this and have it available
via this XML group.

Just thought, I would bring this up since we were talking about the creation
of a publishing tool for the web using XML/XSL.

Cheers,

-
Sander van Zoest                                             sander@mp3.com
High Geek                                                    (858) 623-7442
MP3.com, Inc.  						http://www.mp3.com/
		Your premiere Music Service Provider (MSP)