xml-general mailing list archives

From Guy Hulbert <...@bioinfo.sickkids.on.ca>
Subject Re: ICU
Date Fri, 28 Jan 2000 15:57:33 GMT
On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:

	<snip>

PF> I had an "interesting" discussion on that topic with some GNU Classpath
PF> people at the Exolab 1999 in Nantes (France), and really didn't
PF> understand their points on why ALL software MUST be freely available

Probably because they each understand it slightly differently.  The only
person's point of view you need to understand on this is Stallman.  He
has been consistent over almost 20 years on this.  You don't necessarily
have to agree with him.

I do agree with him on one point.  Without GNU, linux as it exists now
would have been impossible.  It might still have happened but it would
have been *much* slower.  That doesn't mean you have to call it GNU/Linux ...

PF> (and so why their license is, as you correctly called it, "viral").

	<snip>

----
Guy Hulbert, Project Manager		Bioinformatics Supercomputing Centre
(416) 813-8876				555 University Avenue
email: guy@bioinfo.sickkids.on.ca	The Hospital for Sick Children
http:  www.bioinfo.sickkids.on.ca	Toronto, ON, M5G 1X8, CANADA.