xml-general mailing list archives

From Guy Hulbert <...@bioinfo.sickkids.on.ca>
Subject Re: ICU
Date Fri, 28 Jan 2000 15:37:48 GMT
On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

SM> Guy Hulbert wrote:
SM> >
SM> > But BSD is a "free licence" and GPL'd and BDS licensed code can be freely
SM> > mixed
SM>
SM> I wish this was true... unfortunately it's not. GPL and BSD have
SM> orthogonal requirements that prohibit you from mixing the codes.
SM>
SM> 1) BSD impose you to give credits in all published material
SM> 2) GPL impose all of your code to be nothing like GPL, not less nor
SM> more, but doesn't impose to give credits.
SM>
SM> If you think about it, there is no way out of this loop. :(

I hadn't ... this is useful.

SM> GPL code cannot meet BSD requirements, while BSD code doesn't meet GPL
SM> requirements.

However, one can install them both on the same system.  Both can be freely
redistributed.  So I can still use them both together.

SM> I've talked directly with Richard Stallman about this and he believes
SM> this is a very unfortunate thing. I personally don't, but that's another
SM> story :)

I understand Stallman's point of view.  You could also look on this as a
good thing.

SM> >(unlike NPL - i.e. Netscape - which is "free" but cannot be linked
SM> > with GPL'd code).
SM>
SM> Same for any other license. Nothing but GPL can be linked with GPL.
SM> that's the power (and weak point) of it.
SM>
SM> > So, I don't care which one someone else chooses to use.
SM>
SM> You should.

Why ?

	<snip>

----
Guy Hulbert, Project Manager		Bioinformatics Supercomputing Centre
(416) 813-8876				555 University Avenue
email: guy@bioinfo.sickkids.on.ca	The Hospital for Sick Children
http:  www.bioinfo.sickkids.on.ca	Toronto, ON, M5G 1X8, CANADA.