xml-general mailing list archives

From Guy Hulbert <...@bioinfo.sickkids.on.ca>
Subject Re: ICU
Date Thu, 27 Jan 2000 16:38:09 GMT
On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:

	<snip>
PF> > - is there a FAQ ?
PF>
PF> About ICU or the IPSL?

IPSL, but never mind ... I can look when I need to.

PF> > - is it compatible with GNU GPL ?

I meant "for example" ...

PF> BRRRRR (an icecube is dropping between my shoulders) GPL?
PF>
PF> I really don't know... I am no license expert, but I believe so. GPL is
PF> "recursive", and every derivative work of a GPL package needs to be
PF> published (again) under GPL, and the IBM license gives you basically the
PF> rights to do whatever you want with it, as long as you maintain the
PF> copyright...

 ... looks close enough to BSD to me for now ...

PF> > - ...
PF> > :)
PF>
PF> GPL :(
PF> BSD :)

But BSD is a "free licence" and GPL'd and BDS licensed code can be freely
mixed (unlike NPL - i.e. Netscape - which is "free" but cannot be linked
with GPL'd code).  So, I don't care which one someone else chooses to use.
However, since I learned TeX and Emacs (about 1985) I've found that it is
worth my while to use tools based on free software.

	<snip>

----
Guy Hulbert, Project Manager		Bioinformatics Supercomputing Centre
(416) 813-8876				555 University Avenue
email: guy@bioinfo.sickkids.on.ca	The Hospital for Sick Children
http:  www.bioinfo.sickkids.on.ca	Toronto, ON, M5G 1X8, CANADA.