xml-general mailing list archives

From Shane_Curc...@lotus.com
Subject Re: $Log$, and general Q? on compilers
Date Fri, 07 Jan 2000 13:45:04 GMT
A couple of questions for any Java-based projects about suggested
guidelines:

-- Which Java compiler(s) should we generally use for - in particular for
regular binary releases in projects like Xalan, Xerces, etc.?  Obviously
most 'developers' will probably recompile on their own, but for 'users' it
would be nice to have releases ready to run in whatever environment they're
most likely to use.  I was thinking the obvious choices would be Sun's JDK
1.1.8 or 1.2.2.

-- (a per-project issue) What source-control tags should we use in sources?
Personally I'd vote for including just $Id$ in a set place (top of first
comment?) in every file, and not using any other tags.  However a number of
other developers don't like using this when they're doing diffs for some
reason.
---- Arnaud Le Hors <lehors@us.ibm.com> wrote: ----
> May I request that people get rid of the RCS/CVS logs in their source
> files? I find that particularly annoying and would suggest we only put
> $Id$.

Oh, and yes, we're working on making a Xalan-J 0.19.2 release today
(hopefully) compiling against the posted Xerces-J 1.0.1 release, so that
should clear up the compiler issues.  I plan to use the existing makefiles
for this build, and hope to get an Ant build, at least for the compile,
samples, and jarring, for the next release.

- Shane         Automation, Test, & Build guy
mailto:shane_curcuru@lotus.com    AIM:xsltest
  http://alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/LotusXSL
  http://xml.apache.org/xalan/index.html