xml-general mailing list archives

From "Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus" <Scott_B...@lotus.com>
Subject Re: Formatting XML and XSL output ?
Date Mon, 10 Jan 2000 17:35:20 GMT

> I did. I forgot to mention it, but there IS a line on top of my xslsheets
> that says <xsl:output method="html" indent="yes"/>. That doesn't seem to
> have any effect though.

Strange, I haven't heard any bugs reported on this.  Paul, do we have a
regression test for this?

> What about the Serializer classes you mention ?

Assaf is writing them as part of the xml-xerces project.  There is a
property on the StylesheetRoot class, m_useXercesSerializers, that lets you
use the xerces serializers.  But I haven't tested this since Assaf made his
last revisions, and I have a feeling that it won't work quite right yet
(due to some calling issues).

> An
> example in the distribution would be nice (there ain't much in terms of
> examples so far) ...

Yep.  It's all a work in progress.  We're doing the best we can.
Contributions are welcome.

BTW, this should probably be moved to the xalan list.

-scott

                    "Georg Seipler"

                    <geseit01@fht-ess        To:     <general@xml.apache.org>

                    lingen.de>               cc:     (bcc: Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus)

                                             Subject:     Re: Formatting XML and XSL output
?
                    01/10/00 11:19 AM

                    Please respond to

                    general

Hi Scott ...

> Thanks, yep, the fact that it isn't there is an oversight.  However, I
> don't want to put too much effort into FormatterToXML, etc., as they will
> be replaced by Assaf's Serializer classes.

> BTW, you should use <xsl:output indent="yes"/> to control indenting...
it's
> really normally the stylesheet that should control indenting.  There is
no
> way in xslt to control the indent amount though.

I did. I forgot to mention it, but there IS a line on top of my xslsheets
that says <xsl:output method="html" indent="yes"/>. That doesn't seem to
have any effect though. No indenting at all. The indent amount per se is no
problem since the field is public (not very elegant, but possible), but
there is NO indenting no matter what value in that field. Only by deriving
new Formatter class (as described) I get a readable output.

What about the Serializer classes you mention ? I belive I saw them
mentioned elsewhere in the Mailinglist archive but they tell me nothing.
What is the preferred way to output the transformed DOM (XML or HTML) ? An
example in the distribution would be nice (there ain't much in terms of
examples so far) ...

Greetings,
Georg Seipler
(geseit01@fht-esslingen.de)