xml-general mailing list archives

From "Tomalesky, Dan" <dtoma...@bdsinc.com>
Subject RE: XML/Database Applications . . .
Date Wed, 12 Jan 2000 02:46:27 GMT
I think Oracle 8i 8.1.6 is supposed to do something like this.  I read about
it a while ago though.  Check out their technet.oracle.com site to see if
you can locate information on it.  They have an xml section that talks about
some of their tools.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Pogue [mailto:mpogue@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2000 7:38 PM
To: general@xml.apache.org
Cc: Chen, PeterX
Subject: Re: XML/Database Applications . . .

	IBM has such a thing, called "DB2 XML Extender", that maps XML
to a single CLOB, or it can split and recombine the XML into multiple
database cells.

	I'm sure that Oracle must have a similar thing.

	You might want to contact those companies directly, for information
those XML products.  To my knowledge, there's no open source database
thing that does this.

Guy Hulbert wrote:
> Peter.
> I think the following:
>         http://www.w3.org/XML/Activity#schema-wg
> indicates that the answers to most of your questions are "yes".
> I don't think that the xml.apache mailing lists are the right place to
> post this kind of question though.
> On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Chen, PeterX wrote:
> |I would like to know if the XML community at large is interested in using
> |application that works with XML and relational databases.  Specifically,
> |such an application would load an XML file into an existing table and be
> |able to map the data back out from the table into an appropriate XML
> |
> |If there is an interest in the XML community for such an application, are
> |you expecting such an application to be developed by database vendors as
> |feature in their database, or are you expecting such an application to be
> |developed by third party vendors as a standalone application that works
> |existing relational databases?  I would appreciate any and all responses.
> |Thanks you.
> |
> |Peter
> |

> ----
> Guy Hulbert, Project Manager            Bioinformatics Supercomputing
> (416) 813-8876                          555 University Avenue
> email: guy@bioinfo.sickkids.on.ca       The Hospital for Sick Children
> http:  www.bioinfo.sickkids.on.ca       Toronto, ON, M5G 1X8, CANADA.

View raw message