xml-general mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ICU
Date Thu, 27 Jan 2000 22:55:11 GMT
Guy Hulbert wrote:

> But BSD is a "free licence" and GPL'd and BDS licensed code can be freely
> mixed

I wish this was true... unfortunately it's not. GPL and BSD have
orthogonal requirements that prohibit you from mixing the codes.

1) BSD impose you to give credits in all published material
2) GPL impose all of your code to be nothing like GPL, not less nor
more, but doesn't impose to give credits.

If you think about it, there is no way out of this loop. :(

GPL code cannot meet BSD requirements, while BSD code doesn't meet GPL
requirements.

I've talked directly with Richard Stallman about this and he believes
this is a very unfortunate thing. I personally don't, but that's another
story :)

>(unlike NPL - i.e. Netscape - which is "free" but cannot be linked
> with GPL'd code).

Same for any other license. Nothing but GPL can be linked with GPL.
that's the power (and weak point) of it.

> So, I don't care which one someone else chooses to use.

You should.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.