xml-general mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant & Javadoc, jdk specific?
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2000 16:51:58 GMT
Ed Ward wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm experiencing problems building the cocoon api documentation with ant.
>
> Ant's class  'org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javadoc2' uses
> 'com.sun.tools.javadoc.Main' to produce the docs and it appears the tool is only
> available in jdk1.2. Have I got this correct?

This is why its called "javadoc2" and not "javadoc". Consider this a
quick hack to come up with some javadoc to make the distribution. We are
looking for a portable way of doing this but it's not that easy given
the differences in the two javadocs.

> If so, I take it I currently have
> to switch jdk's if I'm using 1.1.x to build but I also want to produce javadoc.

Currently, you could write your own javadoc task to do it, but I agree
there should be a <javadoc> method that takes care of everything for
you, simply ignoring the things that can't handle on that platform
(maybe signaling it with a warning or something).

Please, consider moving this discussion on the
ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org mail list where it is more appropriate.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.