xml-general mailing list archives

From Pierpaolo Fumagalli <p...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] Better look and feel
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2000 21:54:03 GMT
Mike Pogue wrote:

> Pier, is your clock one day off?  I just got this message, and it's
> dated Tuesday.

Nope... It's my stinking italian mail server... It's more than two weeks
that I tell them to fix it... :(

> If you are offering to do the PDF translation, great!!!  Cool!!!

Yes, I'm willing to do it, as soon as I get my hands on a monitor I can
use in Sunnyvale (hint hint!)

> Yes, I'm OK with extending the current DTD's to include new features
> that are needed.  I don't want to break all the existing stuff, though,
> by just renaming existing tags.  ICU Open Source (on developerWorks) is
> using essentially the same DTD as us right now, and I don't want them to
> break either.

I know it, and I told Stefano my concerns about it, and, from what I
understood, he agreed that this one was a great problem... We cannot
just "retranslate" the old documents in the new one, because, in your
specific case, you would have to re-train all the people working on the
current documentation, and, I know it's not an easy task (I was there
the first time!)

> As you say, "better table handling, and better images/pictures handling"
> is a good idea, especially if it can be done in a compatible way.  Go
> ahead and put something together...If it's compatible, and doesn't break
> everything, I think it will be easily accepted by all.

I'm not willing to break anything... That's the point... We need a DTD
for news and we need some better table and image handling. That's my
idea....

> I don't know what to do about Xalan.  I don't know how far away their
> grammar is from the one most everybody else uses.  Perhaps if the
> differences were clearly spelled out in a table, it would be easier to
> talk about?  For this round, if Xalan really needs to be different, then
> maybe they stay different for a while.  Let's figure out why they are
> different!

I don't know why they're different... I really didn't understand what
they do, but I'm even willing to rewrite their documents if this is
necessary... I have a lot of free time now...

> I like your proposal to get more concrete about the ideas.  It will be
> easier to discuss.

I'll write down something as soon as I get to Calif. and as soon as I
get my hands on a monitor. Or if someone is willing to give me access to
a nice office with a network cable..... :) :) :)

	Pier