xml-general mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject [proposal] Better look and feel
Date Mon, 03 Jan 2000 17:58:18 GMT
People,

I personally love the xml.apache.org web site but there is still
something we can do to improve it.

1) the home page is never changing: if there is one think that makes
your project seem alive is a front page that changes, a sort of portal
to the site. I propose to make the xml.apache.org page follow the same
pattern used for java.apache.org where the page is made of three parts

 - lead story
 - news
 - project status

see http://java.apache.org for more information. In fact, to be honest,
the whole Cocoon/Stylebook deal started because of this page: we wanted
a tool to make it easy to update a complex HTML page without WYSIWYG
tools. We covered much more ground from that early idea, but now that we
have the technology we should use it.

The status column will show the latest release available as well as
other informations on a per-project basis.

The news status will allow us to announce events, releases, press
coverage or anything that should be put up front.

2) the table used have fixed size. While this allows faster page
rendering, it is very painful to adopt when source code fragments (using
HTML <pre>) are used. This screws up the pages in a very unpleasant way.

There are solutions:

- adopt flexible tables: slower to render but better looking, also for
distributed HTMl documentation.
- adopt frames: much faster to render, they same bandwith, they simplify
the stylesheets. Problem is the use of javascript to allow updating of
two frames with a single menu click. And browser "back" is also screwed.

??? any suggestion?

3) the DTD used to write and generate the documentation should be
site-wide. I propose to start a "DTD project" that should take care of
DTD definition. when a project has particular needs, it should propose
them to the project rather than write their own style.

This allows better DTDs to be developed and styles to be reused on a
site-wide basis.

Please, vote.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.