xml-general mailing list archives

From "Clark C. Evans" <clark.ev...@manhattanproject.com>
Subject Content Inheritance
Date Wed, 22 Dec 1999 20:49:07 GMT
I looked most of the thread over, and it looks good.
I used a similar mechanism for describing a CDROM
layout for Gartner Group, a nested tree with big
time repeating groups and specilization.  I called
the construct a "matrix composite" and presented
it as a design pattern 3-4 years ago.  This is a
very interesting construct -- I was focusing on
represeting N extremely similar trees using a
single graph -- I was using labels in the nodes
to parameterize what tree the given node applies
to.  Anyway... you name is far better, but it
gives rise to the following questions:

* node.parent() becomes meaningless in this context,
  since it is now a full graph... or, you view
  the entire spec as a pre-processing stage...

* do you allow for multiple inheritance?  Or,
  would a delegation like mechanism be better?

* do you allow for templates too?  (inhertance
  parameterized by one or more attributes...)

Clark