xml-general mailing list archives

From "Clark C. Evans" <clark.ev...@manhattanproject.com>
Subject Re: A mathematical vision of XML leads to interesting conclusions
Date Sat, 18 Dec 1999 06:55:04 GMT

On Sat, 18 Dec 1999, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Donald and I both came to the conclusion that such inheritance facility
> would allow great simplification of the use of XML as data container,
> also allowing easier data-binding with OO languages.

You may want to look at Architectural Forms a bit.  Steven Newcomb
had many e-mails very early on while xml-namespaces was still in
its infancy.  I believe he was asserting that AF satisfies the
requirements of xml-namespaces.  I believe the core of the
argument revolved around multiple-inheritance issues; where
several namespaces may overlap significantly.  Anyway, I really
cannot recall the arguments, but they were interesting, and IMHO,
pretty well grounded.

As for the inheritance facilities Don and you were developing, they
seem interesting.  Interestingly enough, the same exact mechanism
could be used with XML Schemas.  This is cool.

Best,

Clark