xml-general mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>
Subject Re: CVS commit split off to *-cvs list instead of *dev.
Date Wed, 01 Dec 1999 01:02:09 GMT
On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> It's now fixed.  The problem is that the cvs commit messages get sent to
> [modulename]-cvs@apache.org, i.e. xml-xalan-cvs@apache.org, not
> xalan-cvs@xml.apache.org, so I needed to update the aliases @apache.org
> for the change to propagate, and Dirk didn't know that.

A few other things to add:

a) My big fear about splitting commit messages off to their own list is
that people will ignore them; when in fact it's really important that
people are actively reviewing the commit messages to make sure that the
changes made are the right ones.  Right now there are only a handful of
people subscribed to each list - if this remains the case, I will consider
this branch-off a failure.  It really is important that everyone involved
in the code base, not just the commiters, read and understand these
commits.

b) CVS commit messages were only siphoned off to their own list for xalan,
xerces, and fop.  CVS commit messages for the other modules are directed
like so:

  CVS module name	list

  xml-cocoon		cocoon-dev
  xml-site		general