xml-general mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: A mathematical vision of XML leads to interesting conclusions
Date Mon, 20 Dec 1999 22:22:48 GMT
Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Dec 1999, Brett McLaughlin wrote:
>
> > > If you think about it, the namespace idea is the real key to XML
> > > success: namespaces are "versors" of an "infinite-dimension" solution
> > > space. Topologically speaking, while SGML is an single infinite
> > > dimension, XML is an infinite set of infinite dimensions. Mathematically
> > > speaking, you can create a one to one relationship with all the points
> > > of XML to SGML (like it's done considering, for example,
> > > "xsl:stylesheet" like a one dimensional SGML element, rather than the
> > > "stylesheet" element of the "xsl" namespace). This may lead to imply
> > > that SGML and XML have the same "multidimentional" volume. Thus,
> > > namespaces don't alter the topological tissue of XML (which remains flat
> > > and one-dimentional), but simply adds "classes" of elements to allow
> > > elements to share the same name, but have different meanings.
>
> Having given this more though; I still fail to see topology here. I can
> imagine how you can model this as transformations on set's, even see how a
> graaf would fit. But topology no. Meanwhile of course, this looks a lot
> like those 'Architectural Form's. Which never went anywhere.

Could you guys point me to to these "architectural forms that went
anywhere"? :) I don't want to reinvent the wheel but also would like to
steal good points. I've taken a look at David Magginson's code (now
included in MDSAX) but it's pretty hard to learn a technology from it's
implementation (even if you have the source).

For the failed topology vision, don't worry, I've developed a
gravitational/thermodynamic stellar-based model for open source
dynamics... I'm getting famous for my crazy visions :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.