xml-general mailing list archives

From Brett McLaughlin <bmcla...@algx.net>
Subject Re: XML Inheritance Extentions (first try)
Date Mon, 20 Dec 1999 18:52:40 GMT

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Elchanan Shor wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > It might be useful to allow deletion of original elements (not only
> > overriding). This way it we are not interested in the legal element in the
> > output document (not a good example) we can do it.
>
> Yes, this is something brett already proposed, but I think that this is
> a sane limitation.

Actually, no.  I do _not_ think deletion should be allowed.  That
defeats the whole OO idea we are moving to... if something is in the
template, that means you [should] have spent the needed design cycles to
determine that this is important enough to always be there.  This is no
different from designing interfaces and abstract classes.  If it's in
the superclass/template, you are stuck with it.  If that's
inappropriate, it is a design problem, not an implementation problem.

-Brett