xml-general mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: XML Inheritance Extentions (first try)
Date Mon, 20 Dec 1999 11:59:40 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> here is my first try to define what I called the "XML Inheritance
> Extentions". This document should be considered a rough request for
> comments that will hopefully lead us to have a useful and
> well-integrated note to be submitted to the W3C for review.
>
> Comments, suggestions and questions are encouradged and deeply welcome.

I kinda like the underlying idea, but ... I'm very dubious about the
whole idea of overwriting according to position. It seems to me that
this is going to be ambiguous and hard to maintain except in rather
trivial cases.

Also, a change to a parent document would often require changes to all
children, which rather defeats the object.

I'd suggest that you need to include some way of tagging
replaceable/supplementable parts.

Cheers,

Ben.

http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html