xml-general mailing list archives

From Mike Pogue <mpo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PROPOSAL: Implementation of the JAXP classes for xerces-J
Date Wed, 08 Dec 1999 19:53:57 GMT

When do you think the code will be under a license usable by Apache?
I'd like to see the JAXP wrapper classes for Xerces-J get in, but the
license is a real barrier to that.

ALSO NOTE:  The current JAXP license posted to the Sun website looks
like it forbids using the Java classes themselves (for anything other
than evaluation), and also anybody looking at this stuff should also be
aware of this clause from section 7.1:

	"Licensee agrees that Licensed Software contains trade secrets of Sun."

I definitely would not want to see any Apache code contaminated by trade

Pier, I don't think you should commit your version of the Sun classes,
until it is clarified that it's OK to do so (in other words, that the
API itself does not contain any trade secrets of Sun).

Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:
> Rajiv Mordani wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >         As most of you'll are aware that we have released the specification for
> > Java API for XML parsing. The RI (yes Pier finally it is out there) has
> > just been released. For downloading and playing with it please go to
> > http://java.sun.com/xml and follow links to download the EA for the RI or
> > directly to the following link (you still need to login to jdc)
> > http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/earlyAccess/xml/
> >
> > I have also implemented the classes for JAXP for xerces-J. So now people
> > can program to the javax API and not worry about the underlying parser.
> > This is a formal proposal to go ahead and make these classes part of
> > xerces-J. To use these classes you need to download the RI from the above
> > location(to get the javax classes). So can we have a vote on getting these
> > classes in.
> As far as I can read in the license, we cannot re-distribute the JAXP
> classes from the apache web site... I already wrote those classes for my
> own tests with StyleBook (I didn't wait for the R.I. to get out... I
> wrote my 5 classes!), what if I commit them to the Xerces-J tree so that
> your patches can compile cleanly "out of the box"???
>         Pier
> --
> -          P              I              E              R          -
> stable structure erected over water to allow the docking of seacraft
> <mailto:pier@betaversion.org>    <http://www.betaversion.org/~pier/>

View raw message