xml-general mailing list archives

From Pierpaolo Fumagalli <p...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Sun's XML API Specification...
Date Sat, 04 Dec 1999 05:11:58 GMT
Keith Visco wrote:

> DocumentBuilder is a good name, though I could also make the argument that
> SAXParser is not a good name. Actually I think it should be newSAXEventGenerator,
> or something like that.

Ok... I don't care about what name is used... You can call it Pier if
you want to, I'll give you the permission... Let's talk about a little
bit on the API:

Today I had a talk with Mike on that, and he came out with a REALLY good
point. He said that the two set of parser were somehow limited in their
capabilites. I explain better, there are SO MANY different "flavours" of
parsers and not only validating (or not) and name space aware parsers
(or not).

What Mike said was that the approach used in SAX2 (properties and
features) is much more flexible and extensible, and I am all in favour
of that.

This is my first addition request parsers and their factories should
have inside the methods (as specified by SAX2 ConfigurableParserAdapter)
for setting and querying features and properties.

More comments later, as I go thru the spec once again... (I want the
reference implementation BTW... How long does it takes SUN to write 5
classes?)

	Pier