xml-general mailing list archives

From "Michael Sick" <m...@activated.com>
Subject Re: [ANN] EZ/X - XML Technology Preview Now Available
Date Wed, 01 Dec 1999 20:26:24 GMT
Hi Pier,

While I respect your right to gripe about any mail that comes your way or to
even hit delete without reading it, I'd like you and your peers at apache to
know that the message announcing the availability of EZ/X from activated.com
was not done without thought.

Upon reading your note below, I'd wanted you to consider the following:

* apache just adopted code for xml/xslt technologies that our initial tests
suggest are 2 to 3 times slower than the EZ/X package in general and a whole
lot slower when dealing with complex xsl

I don't know about you but I prefer starting with an edge rather than a
handicap. Gaining a 2-3-10-???x speed advantage is hard, hard work. Generous
IBM patronage aside, if xml.apache's goal is to produce world-class xml
technologies that uplift xml developers everywhere (my impression of your
goals) -- knowing that there might be a better product and starting point
should be a good thing and not a bad thing.

I urge you to reconsider your instinct to exclude announcements of this type
and to reconsider taking a peek at EZ/X at:

http://www.activated.com

Finally, as stated in the original note, we are looking for a buyer for EZ/X
and have a strong inclination to see it widely distributed at low to no
cost. We'd be perfectly happy if some concern would purchase EZ/X and donate
it apache so you could enjoy its significant speed, stability, and
scalability advantages.
We'd donate it ourselves but the last time I peeked at our stock ticker we
didn't have a 185 billion dollar market cap - but we do have great XML
software.

Best regards,

Michael Sick
VP Activated