xml-general mailing list archives

From Patrick Carey <patrickca...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: A mathematical vision of XML leads to interesting conclusions
Date Sat, 18 Dec 1999 17:19:59 GMT
Dear Mr. Bray:

Would you be interested in looking at the efficacy of
using xml running on a wireless internet appliance,
handling internet infrastracture issues....?

Sincerely yours,

Patrick W. Carey
650-378-5290

--- Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com> wrote:
> At 02:54 PM 12/18/99 +0100, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >Topologically speaking, while SGML is an single
> infinite
> >dimension, XML is an infinite set of infinite
> dimensions.
>
> Hmm, I have a math degree and smell no topology.
> Both XML and SGML allow
> an infinite number of names.  Namespaces provide a
> way (which would work
> in SGML if anyone cared) to partion that infinite
> set into any number of
> disjoint subsets, each named by a URI.
>
> Having said that, Stefano may be right about the
> Kozmick Koolness of
> namespaces :)
>
> >While there is a proposed XInclude specification
> that aims to unify the
> >need for inclusion of external things, there is
> very little concern
> >about the application of more general
> object-oriented design patterns,
> >such as inheritance.
>
> Well, we all seem to agree that descriptive markup,
> as in XML, is a good
> thing.  Furthermore, everyone now learns in high
> school that O-O thinking
> is good.  Having said that, I just want to point out
> that a lot of people
> have got into a lot of trouble trying to map the
> notion of inheritance
> onto the space of markup languages.  To start with,
> XML tries hard *not*
> to be O-O by insisting that you separate your data
> and logic to the
> extent possible.  Secondly, it's not clear whether
> you want to do
> inheritance at the instance or schema level.
>
> A few years ago, the then SGML community made a huge
> titanic effort and
> produced something called "architectural forms"
> which was said to do
> inheritance (sort of); unfortunately, only 25 people
> in the world ever
> understood it.
>
> Still, it seems that Stefano is correct in saying
> that something like
> inheritance would probably be very handy.  Proposals
> welcome. -Tim

=====
Patrick W. CareyGrapevine Solutions, Inc.809 Laurel Street#628San Carlos, California 94070Direct:
650-378-5290 or 408-229-4335patrickcarey@yahoo.com - Fax:(419)828-8296