xml-general mailing list archives

From Guy Hulbert <...@bioinfo.sickkids.on.ca>
Subject Re: Proposal for addiction to the Sun XML Java API
Date Fri, 26 Nov 1999 18:14:37 GMT
On Fri, 26 Nov 1999, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

	<snip>

SM> One thing I see it's the lack of output support: the API is
SM> "input-biased", in the sense that allows you to _read_ XML. For writing,
SM> you're on your own.

	<snip>

And what about raw binary output?  Every time I pick up a new language
this always seems to be difficult (either to find or to do).

The XML spec does allow binary objects to be part of an XML document.

I have some old (not XML) projects written originally in FORTRAN and C
where I used raw I/O for performance.  If I ever migrate these, I don't
want to give this back (even though modern machines are fast).

----
Guy Hulbert, Project Manager		Bioinformatics Supercomputing Centre
(416) 813-8876				555 University Avenue
email: guy@bioinfo.sickkids.on.ca	The Hospital for Sick Children
http:  www.bioinfo.sickkids.on.ca	Toronto, ON, M5G 1X8, CANADA.