xml-general mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: Makefile's
Date Thu, 25 Nov 1999 16:09:59 GMT

On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
> >
> > I am looking at various makefile options, gmake vs make vs Ant.
>
> I'm happy you brought this up. In my experience, I learned my little
> make _after_ knowing my big java. So I must admit I'm totally
> unaccustomed to the makefile "design patterns" or style guidelines.

Basically I am fairly close to being able to compile most of the
java stuff with just a single simple make file; and to be able to
only re-compile just those *.java files (and any depending *.jar)'s
as where actually change'd since last build.

I.e. a total build takes twice as long as with a *.java compile (or an Ant
compile), but an incremental one after you changed a single *.java file
only a fraction of the time. This is with a 'pure' make on BSD, solaris
and under dos (.bat file).

I'am now trying to see if we can compile/convert ANT <-> Makefiles
automatic, and how well this works compared to building things in
a Microshaft VC++ builder environment.

Just trying to get the learning curve as flat as possible.

Dw